Ralph

How long should I wait to see if a limp gets better before going to the vet?

My 3 year old male French Bulldog/Australian Shepherd mix started limping on Thursday. He won't put any weight on his right back leg at all. I didn't see him fall or hit anything. I've been limiting his activity and making him rest way more than he would like! How long should I give him for it to get better before taking him to the vet? I have felt his leg and everything feels fine. He doesn't cry or pull away when I'm messing with him leg. I don't really know what he did! Any suggestions?

Asked by Ralph on Jul 17th 2011 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Molly

If this happened thursday and it is now sunday and he is still limping I would definitely seek the advice of a vet. Many dogs (bully breeds in particular) don't show pain like we do. It is instinct to hide it from potential predators. It could just be a sprain but also something worse. When in doubt check with a vet.

Molly answered on 7/17/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I'd call as soon as the vet opens in the a.m.

Wow, he has the coolset markings.

If he has never had a problem before it's possible it's a sprain and rest will allow it to go away on it's own.

The other possibilities are:
... a torn ACL, which can heal with rest, but it takes a long time, or surgery which is expensive and dogs tend to then tear the other ACL. Just my Vets experience as Pepper is in that spot.

.....or, less likely is a luxated patella. An LP would show up as minor limping, funny hopping walk now and then and picking up the leg to go down stairs even when not limping. LP is usually a genetic fault, but in rare cases can be caused by an injury.

Keep him leashed for now, see the Vet later this week if he's not walking better. You should see the Vet sooner if it happens again.

Since he isn't in pain and he is ok with your messing with his leg, I would say he pulled a muscle or tendon. Most likely all the vet will tell you to do is limit his activity for a couple of weeks. This happened to my dog and he became a couch potato for 2 weeks and then was back to his old self. You could get x-rays taken, but I'd probably wait a couple weeks first and see how he is doing.