Chantilly

How long should I wait to get my shih tzu fixed?

My puppy is a little over 7 months old and is just now going in heat. My vet said it should last approximately 18 days then I need to wait two months once she is done bleeding to get her fixed. Does this sound right? I wanted to get her fixed when I got her but my vet also recommended I wait until she had her first heat. The cost will be $300. I am located in Toledo Ohio and would love second third and fourth opinions. Thanks

Asked by Chantilly on Feb 9th 2009 Tagged heat, spayed, neutered in Health & Wellness

Answers

I recommend waiting until she is a year old so that the lack of hormones after being spayed won't affect her growth, but it won't hurt to have it done after this heat cycle.
Best of luck.

Katie

Hi Chantilly!
Wow, I am surprised your vet recommended waiting so long. I was spayed at four months, never had a first heat, and am now a healthy, happy, well-behaved almost-two-year-old.
I would get a second opinion on when to spay!
Also, the Humane Society is hosting its 15th Annual Spay Day on Tuesday, February 24. You should be able to get a less expensive procedure, and/or lots of referrals at a Spay Day event. Here is the link to the Humane Society website, where you can find the Spay Day closest to you: www.hsus.org

Big wags to your owners, who want to be responsible and make sure you don't have puppies! :-)

Katie answered on 2/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lola Penelope

Wow... can't belive that a vet would recomend that. I googled Cancer in Bitches and this is info on one site. I read before that breast cancer in females spayed before 1st heat was around 1% after 1st heat it jumped to 8% (I think). after 2n
Goggle-> Purebred dogs are twice as likely to get breast cancer as are mixed breed dogs of the same age. The most important conclusion gained from examining studies of breast cancer in dogs is that early spaying protects against breast cancer.
The greatest protection from spaying occurs if the dog is spayed before her first heat. The protective value of spaying drops steadily until age 2 1/2. If the bitch is spayed at or after age 2 1/2, the risk of getting breast cancer is statistically no different from a bitch which was never spayed. One study, however, found at least some protection from breast cancer when bitches were spayed up to five years of age. Clearly, however, the earlier a bitch is spayed, the less likely she is to get breast cancer

Lola Penelope answered on 2/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Roxy

Wow, i am surprised that your vet would tell you to wait that long. Now if she has not got it, i would do it as soon as possible. I was fixed when i was 6 weeks old. Good luck

Roxy answered on 2/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer