how long for a seroma to go away?It is 5 weeks since surgery.we drained it several times ,it returns.drain return.

what to do?

Asked by Member 982676 on Apr 20th 2010 in DogsterPlus

Answers

I would take your dog back to the vet. It seems to me that is too long.

This is really a question best asked of your vet.

It's hard to say exactly what is normal, but after five weeks, if the dog still has actual drains inserted under the skin, then that's certainly not any length of time I've ever heard of. In fact, they could be sealing up and joining with the skin, so if the drains are still intact, you need your vet to check them out and remove them immediately.

However, if there are no drains and you're taking about just fluid buildup, you still need to see the vet, or at least call them.

If it is being drained properly by the vet and then fluid returns, something seems like it's not right. Fluid is usually just plasma, water and some blood. But there is a possibility this is not a seroma at all but rather an infection.

If you feel it might be in your dog's best interest to seek a second opinion on this (if you've gone back to the vet several times or if the dog seems ill) then that's what I'd do.

Good luck. I hope you can update us.

the dog needs a vet I agree with that.