Indiana

How long does puppy biting last? My pyr wants to chew on me no matter what toy I offer him. I say "ouch" when he bites

He is 11-12 weeks old and a Pyrenees. He's a sweetheart, but he seems to think playbiting is the way to go. I have tried turning my back and ignorning him. He will be calm, but the minute you sit back down, he wants to play bite. After about 10 minutes of this, I end up putting him back in his enclosure. Help, please.

Asked by Indiana on Jul 14th 2008 Tagged wenamedthedogindiana in Behavior & Training

Answers

Miss Buddie

He's going to be a spaz for awhile. The most effective thing I used on Miss Buddie was to yelp like a puppy when she bit too hard when we were playing. Another thing that works really well is to get up and walk away from him after he's played too rough. Completely turn your back on him.

These are things that his mom or littermates would do if he played too rough with them.

BTW, he is a gorgeous little man!

Miss Buddie answered on 7/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

My dog Spot bites me softly when we play rough games.To make the dog understand that he is hurting you you have to ignore him and not pay any attention on him anytime he bites you strongly.
The next time you'll be playing with him and he'll bite you,ignore him and leave the room.A few minutes later-15 for example go back .If he wants to play with you, play with him only if you feel like it.If he bites again, then leave the room.
It might take you several times to make him stop biting but it is well worth it.

♥Tiffy♥

The puppy biting can last up to the age of 1, give or take depending on the dog. My Tiffy got over her puppy biting at about 8 months. Well, I wouldn't say got over, because she still does it when we are playing. But to get the biting to stop, I agree with Miss Buddie. Give him a yelp to say that that hurt. Or when he does start the biting, just tell him no and stop playing. It will take some time, but he will get it eventually.

♥Tiffy♥ answered on 7/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

if he does tell him off.
and by him some chewy stick.

p.s. it should stop at about 22 weeks when he stops teathing

The Wee Beasties

If a dog is never taught how to control play-biting, it can become a huge problem, particularly in such a large breed. I recall an episode of "It's Me or the Dog" where a Siberian Husky wasn't trained on this and was very dominant and aggressively biting one of his owners.

We attended a puppy kindergarten class and one of the sessions was on training for this kind of biting. The 4 ways they showed us are too involved to answer here. I'd recommend seeing if there's a class or trainer available near you so you can get in-person one-on-one training for this.

For now, when he bites, make a high-pitched, loud shriek. It should get his attention and make him stop for a second. Then when you turn your back and ignore him, he should come to think that he's hurt you and been too rough and that you'll stop playing with him when he does it. If this doesn't work, then you may need some actual punishment techniques you can learn from a class or behaviorist. Good Luck!

The Wee Beasties answered on 7/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer