How long does it usually take for a Pomeranian to get their big full thick coat? My little girl is now 14 months.

How long does it usually take for a Pomeranian to get their big full thick coat? She is 14 months now. She had her first heat just before she turned 1 and we had her spayed right after her heat.

My American Eskimo took a long time to get her big fur in... but eventually she became a big ball of fur. Are Poms the same? I know they are related.

Asked by Member 999233 on Aug 9th 2010 in Pomeranian

Best Answer

Pomeranians are the dwarf of the Spitz family of dogs. Some develop the fluffy coat we are used to seeing on Pom's in show. Some retain the silky coat of their ancestors.

Link to pictures of both types of coats:
If you scroll down to Izzy and Gizmo, they have the silky coat, while P Diddy has the full fluffy coat. The Fluffy coat may be correct for show, but the silky coat looks nicer and I like that look much better.
www.dogbreedinfo.com

Snickers answered on Aug 9th.

Answers

answers.yahoo.com

I would make sure their diet also has no corn in it. Check your dogfood labels.
also a little pure salmon oil might help too.
Pom coat are less dense then AE, the fur is not as thick. AE, have double coats