Lady Izzabella

How long does it take for a Yorkies hair to get nice an LONG

I LOVE the long coats on Yorkies and want to know how long it takes for it to start filling out.

Asked by Lady Izzabella on Mar 18th 2008 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Get ready for a good wait. Their hair usually gets long enough to put into a top knot or at least be able to pull back out of their faces at about 7 or 8 months. But the long "flowy" hair that you are talking about usually takes about a year, depending on how fast their hair grows. Alex's hair, which is now puppy cut, grows very fast, where as my Abby's hair grows a lot slower. Their food also has a lot to do with their coat. We feed them Innova, which is a good quality food.
I am curious to see what others with Yorkies have to say!
Yours are beautiful by the way!

Meridian

From what I understand a long flowing coat like you see on Yorkie show dogs can take YEARS to grow and fill in, and you have to stay on top of proper grooming to make sure that it doesn't get tangles or mats during that time.

Like Alex said, proper diet is absolutely crucial for a nice healthy coat and skin.

Meridian answered on 3/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Pedro

I noticed that your dog is 3 years old.Does your dog have a decent coat now? Has she ever hasd a full coat?Or has she been groomed short? She should have a nice full coat by now.Normally by the age of 2 years they should have a nice full coat. Maybe if you can give us a little more info we can help on a better level.

Pedro answered on 3/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer