How long does it take for a Shih Tzu to grow back her hair?

I took my Shih Tzu to a groomer to be groomed. She was matted on her back. When I picked her up she was completed shaved...tail and all. I was completely upset. I paid the groomer and left.

Asked by Member 840090 on May 26th 2009 in Professional Grooming

Answers

When I take Ein to get groomed it takes about a month or so for him to start looking normal again.

In Loving Memory of BOOMER

4-6 weeks or longer depending on how long the hair was to begin with. Usually groomers shave dogs as a last resort to avoid putting the pet through the misery of a severe brushing.

If you didn't like what he/she did, brush your dog AT LEAST every other day with a COMB (to get down to the skin) AND a slicker brush.
And if you want, find a new groomer.

I don't mean this toward you directly, just from working at a grooming shop people get upset when you shave their dogs b/c they're too matted.

The groomers I know will brush a dog out when possible b/c it makes for a happier owner. The trouble is most owners say "oh my dog never has mats" and 99% of the time their dog is matted beyond belief. Then they act all surprised thier dog got a shorter hair cut.

Groomers don't work miracles. If an owner can't take time to brush the dog properly then they deserve a shave down. If it was laziness on the groomer's part, s/he doesn't deserve your business. Good luck!

In Loving Memory of BOOMER answered on 5/26/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Max (aka Sebastian)

not sure how long it will take for her hair to grow back, but if her back was matted and the groomer only shaved her back, then she would have looked even worse then being shaved all over, that's probably why the groomer shaved her, because of the matting.

Max (aka Sebastian) answered on 5/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lucy

How long will it take to grow back depends on how long you want the hair. I have one long haired shih tzu whose hair would take months to grow back. I do brush her frequently including the day she goes to the groomer and use creme rinse on her coat when I bath her.

My other shih tzu is groomed short with a 4FC blade and it takes 2 to 3 weeks for the coat to look fluffy.

One must be careful of overzealous groomers, who shave dogs, even when the owner wants something different. If you don't know how to describe the cut you want, print out a picture and bring it with you to the groomer. Also, find a groomer who you and your dog likes and stick with the same person.

And be sure to brush your dog in between grooming cause that makes the groomers job easier, but most importantly, your dog is not suffering and has a good grooming experience.

Lucy answered on 6/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer