B1tch

How long does it take after a dog has puppies to stop producing milk?

Our dog had puppies on Feburary 28th this year and its been bout 1month already and we give the puppies the milk in a bowl and they drink it fine but whenever the mama comes around they still go straight to the chi-chi and her nipples still look big and hang, Is that normal to happen and will her sacs go down?

Asked by B1tch on Apr 1st 2009 Tagged puppies in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru

when they get to be around 8 weeks that is time to wean them off mom. but if your pups are only 4 weeks that is way too early.
The mother has milk with antibodies and that is normal for the pups to be with her, not drinking from bowl at 4 weeks. I mean maybe some people do that, but I don't think it is a have to do thing at 4 weeks. I think it would be good to buy a book on whelping to see what to do, good luck.:)

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru answered on 4/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lola Penelope

I believe at about 4 weeks the puppies will start eating a little food here and there as well as drinking water or whatever you give them. They are just learning though, and still need their mothers chi-chi as you put it:) I'm not sure exactly when the mom will totally wean them, but its normal for the pups to do this especially at this young age.

Lola Penelope answered on 4/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

They are too young to be weened!...They can start trying a gruel made out of kibble & water...Mama dog will know when they need to be completely weened...& PLEASE fix your bitch!...You are adding to the plight of pet overpopulation & dogs dying in shelters!
www.woodhavenlabs.com