How long does it take a paw cut to heal? Am I doing this right?

My pit bull, Max, stepped on a piece of broken glass and cut the pad on one of his paw pretty bad. It's a pretty deep cut, and bled pretty bad, but we've been disinfecting it and putting Neosporin on it, and it doesn't bleed at all anymore. However, It's been about a week, and he's still favoring it, trying not to put pressure on it, it looks like it isn't healing. It IS NOT red, though, so I don't think it's infected. What should I do? Should I take him to the vet? Keep doing what I'm doing? Let him clean it? HELP! I'm a new dog mom!

Asked by Member 813078 on Mar 9th 2009 Tagged wound, foot, heal in Health & Wellness

Answers

I would have taken the dog in if it was that deep. And maybe there was a piece real small particles still in there. I would see if they can look at it with some magnifying lenses and see if there is any more glass traces left. That could be the problem and if it is too deep he needs to have it fixed so it can heal properly. Hope he does better.
It doesn't take a long period to heal. My dog jumped out a 5 ft window and she healed in a couple of weeks. So the cut sounds too deep or has more particles in the foot embedded.

Katie

Hi there!

I would take Max in to the vet as soon as possible. It may be infected; even if it's not red at the site of the injury, there could be deeper swelling and pain, especially if a small, sharp piece has worked its way farther into Max's foot. As Dieta points out, there may be tiny bits of glass that you can't see, but they could be irritating him and making him limp.

Don't let him clean it himself; you don't want him to cut his tongue on potentially hidden shards of glass.

Since you're a new dog mom, I recommend getting a copy of The Dog Bible, which has lots of great information, but of course nothing can substitute for the medical opinion of a good vet. Good luck!

Katie answered on 3/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer