How long does a newborn puppy have to be with it's mother, if your planning to give it away?

My couzin has two dogs and one s in heat right now and I'm planning to get a puppy when she delivers. The girl is named Rizzo, Boston Terrier, and the the boy is named Ernie, French Bulldog, and their puppies will be Frenchtons. So I was wondering how long the puppies have to spend with it's mother before they can seperate?

Asked by Member 823738 on Apr 6th 2009 Tagged mothering, howlong in Health & Safety

Answers

Lola Penelope

please please tell me you are a 12 year old kid! I'd feel better about your lack of knowledge and concern if you are. As for your couzin... why would s/he breed, does s/he not know the plight of mutts and pure breeds but especially mutts? Lola was almost put down as a lil puppy because there wasn't anyone who could take her and her brothers. Luckily a rescue got them and now I have her with so much love. Adopt a dog from a rescue or shelter please

Lola Penelope answered on 4/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

By common sense, puppies must be with their mother and litter mates until at least 8 weeks of age. During this time, they should be frequently handled by people, and exposed to new stimuli (getting paws wetted, being talked to, having music played, etc.) They will learn important social skills with other dogs and get a jump start on their socialization and future training and development this way.

By LAW, most states require that puppies are at least 8 weeks old before being separated, and some states require them to be 9 weeks old. In most states, it's a misdemeanor to separate them and give them away or sell them any younger, punishable with jail term and/or a fine.

shiloh Bear

it is very dangerous for small dogs to mate. tell your cousin to get them fixed because if the puppies do not get good homes they would go into the shelters and probably be put down. here is a website for you to see

www.woodhavenlabs.com

shiloh Bear answered on 4/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Max (aka Sebastian)

Frenchies often can not give birth due to the large head, so I doubt the boston will be able to handle giving birth to a French bulldog, so a c-section will be a must from the vet, has your cousin thought abouth this before hand, because if they are in it for the money, people would be insane to pay a lot of money for a mutt. There is no such things as hybrid breeds,proper breeding is ment to perserve a breed, not to create a mutt. The shelters and rescues are full, and dogs are dying everyday because of irresponsible breeding.

Max (aka Sebastian) answered on 4/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Abby's answer all the way!
What is your cousin's reason for breeding two different breeds? If it's anything besides trying to improve a breed's health, I wouldn't recommend supporting this breeding by buying/accepting a puppy from her.

Your cousin should at least be doing all the genetic health testing (OFA, CERF, cardiac, thyroid, etc), know the history of both breeds, both dogs should be able to do what their breed was originally bred for, in addition to your cousin having thoroughly researched breeding and the ethics involved for at least two years and have/have had a good and experienced mentor. Your cousin should know the breeds well enough to be able to tell you if they are the right breeds for you or not.
You can learn what to look for in a breeder at my website:
cookiemiller.tripod.com

I have family members who are "breeders" myself--and they are rather nice people, but as far as their breeding practices go they are sadly no more than BYBs (back-yard breeders). "Breeders" I'd never recommend if my life depended upon it.

The absolute minimum age a puppy should be separated from his mother and litter mates is eight weeks, but even better is 10 weeks, or even 12.

As Abby said, dogs learn so, SO much from thier socialization and interaction with their mother and siblings that taking them away too soon has a lot of drawbacks.

Emotionally, they are just not ready to cope with a new home before eight weeks and if they dont' get that precious time with their doggie mom and family, then they almost always have behavioral and training challenges in their new home.

Physically, it's also a good idea to keep them with their mother longer since puppies are really like newborn babies when it comes to immunity and health; they shouldn't be exposed to germs or bacteria unneccessarily as they don't always have all the antibodies they need to have their health protected. They are VERY fragile before 8 weeks.

If you want to do the right thing, make sure your cousin doesn't let them go before 10 weeks!

Scientific studies have shown puppies should never be removed from their mother and litter before 6 weeks, but soon after is best. Keeping them past 10 weeks is an old wives tale. Past 12 weeks they are much slower to accept new things. Quality books such as the Monks of New Skeet the Art of Raising a Puppy have extensive discussions of the importance of early socialization. Also see www.akc.org and www.apdt.com

I too question breeding your cousins dogs. To better understand what we are talking about, see www.woodhavenlabs.com

I'd just like to point out that your cousin should not be breeding her dogs if she does not know how long they need to stay with their mother. Also, because both boston terriers and french bulldogs have large heads, the delivery process is very difficult and she could need a c-section. If the dog starts to deliver at night and does need a vet, its going to cost out the wazoo and is very dangerous. the time it takes to get her to the vet could result in the loss of the pups and the dog.
Generally though, 8 weeks before you can take one home. Sometimes longer. Please Please Please tell you cousin to have her dogs spayed and neutered. It is cruel to breed just because the pups will be cute. especially when the two of you obviously know so little about breeding.
I'm also assuming that your cousin has not had her dogs tested for common health defects.