how long do small dogs bleed while in heat for the 1st time?

I have a terrier/chiauaha mix she is swollen HUGE! I made her little panties with pads but I don't know how long it lasts. I worry about bllod getting on everything

Asked by Member 545516 on Dec 15th 2007 Tagged heat in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Gracie

I have a Boston Terrier and she got REALLY huge too, but she didn't bleed to much, plus they clean themselves.

Gracie answered on 12/15/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

It varies with different dogs. The best and most effective way to make sure blood doesn't get on "everything" is to have her fixed, AKA spayed or altered. It costs more to have your dog spayed while she is inheat. For now, just use those pads!

Jelly

Your female's season will last for a total of 28 days. Each female is different in terms of how long and how much they will bleed. I have also had females bleed different amounts on different seasons. Some females bleed almost to the end. I was worried about Jelly on one of her seasons because she had quit bleeding and then she started up again at the end. The vet said that is natural although I had never seen it before. She said that it is natures way of "flushing" the system clean after a season. If you are not planning on showing or breeding your girl you should consider spaying her after her season. A discussion with your vet on this topic would be a good idea. There are many health benefits to spaying and it also avoids any unplanned puppies.

Jelly answered on 12/15/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer