Desmond CGC

How long do I have to wait to bathe my dog after he has been neutered?

Desmond was neutered on the 2nd of October, which was 12 days ago. His stitches are the kind that are interior, and dissolve after a period of time, so I'm a little unsure. I called my vet to ask and the lady on the phone said to wait until after his appointment to get his stitches removed and hung up before I could tell her that he had interior stitches, and I didn't have a follow up to go by. -shrug-

It's not super important, I can wait to give him a bath, but we have family coming in to town tomorrow and it's always better when he's all fluffed up and freshly groomed. :) It's been a while since his last groom, since I skipped the week of his neuter as well as last week, he's looking a little grungy. Do you think I could do it today without having anything bad happen, or should I wait to avoid hurting the stitches?

(btw, I check his incision daily, it's looking great from what I know, no redness or anything abnormal)

Asked by Desmond CGC on Oct 14th 2009 Tagged bath, neuter, stitches, wait in Health & Wellness

Answers

I would put it off. Give him a good brushing with a soft bristled brush. I seldom if ever bathe a dog.

Quincy - CGC

Our vet says one week for boys three weeks for girls depending on how the healing goes and be gentle. Do not get soap around the area. You should be fine. If you have him professionally groomed I would just inform your groomer and ask them what they think also.

Quincy - CGC answered on 10/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Boston

My vet told me 2 weeks. That was the answer for my girl Daisy and for my boy Boston.

Boston answered on 10/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I'd wait another week to two weeks.

The internal stitches are great, but the skin there is still compromised and even if we can't see it with the naked eye, it's still delicate there. Water getting into the fold where the stitches are inside is still a possibility, though slight. What you need to be more concerned with is the bacteria that can be carried through the water when you wash the dog.

Like you said, if it's not super important, it's better to wait.

Sounds like you're doing a great job checking the incision daily and it sounds like it's healing great.

If you want, you can get some of those topical wipes for dogs to freshen up his coat without water. I've seen a few at higher end dog stores and some are quite natural with just a few ingredients in them. They basically take off a surface layer of dirt from the coat, which presumably brightens the color on a light dog like Desmond, and removes any odors.

Hope that helps...