How long can you wait to get stiches for a cut?

Our dog Addie has a cut on her her leg she got while hunting. We thought that it would heal but it hasn't. It has been a little over a week. Have we waited to long to take her to the vet to get the cut stiched up?

Asked by Member 921929 on Nov 23rd 2009 in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

After 12 hours they won't stitch it unless they abrade it & stitch...Take your dog to the vet to see what needs done!

If it's been that long and it's not healed I would certainly take her to the vet. Although stitches are ideally used within 24 hours, your vet may decide to clean the borders and stitch now to facilitate healing.

depends on the cut, if it has been a week that is too long.
depends on the placement of the cut, if it is in the muscle that could take longer to heal.
infection is always a problem.
And licking the area is even worse. it keeps it open and harvests more germs and bacteria.
she needs a vet asap. they can address the wound better then us.

If thats a fence cut, it'll be hard to heal, I don't know why, they just are, maybe because the barbs cut under the skin too where we can't see, then too a running dog will actually pull the skin loose. I'd bring her to the vet to get his ideas, I've had it treated both ways (it only went one day the first time), The first time it was a sizeable tear and the vet trimmed the edges and stitched, the stitches ended up not holding (Spot is alergic so we found out to traditional suture material), so we had to just wrap change dressings daily and wait til time healed it. Second time, Sunshine vs the vet and me. 3 months to heal what started as a 3/4" fence tear.
Fences seem to make cuts that don't heal easily. A vet can give you the best advice on a hard to heal wound, don't let it go. While Addie was out there she could have picked up unknown bacteria too.