Griffin'

How long can wet food be left out after opening it?

I tend to leave my dog's (opened but covered) wet food in the (~45 degrees, cold!) basement. He goes through a can in about 5 days. Is it okay if it's left out during that time, or should I keep it in the fridge?

Asked by Griffin' on Mar 24th 2011 Tagged wetfood, food in Wet Dog Food

Answers

I would keep the food in the fridge. 45 degrees is warmer than the temp in the fridge and it can breed bacteria and possibly make your dog sick.

When I buy canned food, I have a can top cover for canned dog food. It last a long time with the cover in the refrigerator. You could get them at your vet's office, they give me them for free.

Halo

How long would you eat a cooked chicken left in a tin can where you leave the dog food? Not long, it would either have dangerous bacteria or taste like the can, not good for you and not for the dog either. Now placed in a non metal container with a lid in the fridge (or if it's in a coated can already) it's fine for 4-5 days. Maybe longer but, if I won't eat a cooked chicken the way the food is, I won't feed it to my dogs either.

Halo answered on 3/24/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

J. J.

Definitely either use a can cover, or place it in a sealing container, then keep it in the refrigerator. Wet food is just like any meat or vegetables we eat. You certainly wouldn't eat something that wasn't refrigerated properly, and your dog shouldn't either. Once you've sealed it properly, you can typically store it in the refrigator for no more than 3-4 days.

J. J. answered on 3/25/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer