How large will my Puggle get?

My puggle "luke will be six months old on Dec. 7th. He now weighs around 20 pounds. He is active and walks with me everyday at least 3 to 5 miles. He looks lean now and is very well proportioned. I am wondering if this is due to regular exercise or is he still in puppy mode? Any helpful comments are welcome. Thank You. Jeff

Asked by Member 531619 on Nov 16th 2007 in Exercise

Best Answer

Hi Jeff. :)

I think you're making the mistake a lot of dog owners make and that is by asking how "big" your dog will get referring to the weight, rather than the height.

The size of a dog is determined by its height at the withers. The withers are the upper part of the shoulder where the neck meets the back. Since Beagle is the larger of the two dogs in your mixed breed, your dog could get as tall as a Beagle. Most Beagles are between 13 and 15 inches at the withers but they can also be shorter or taller than their standard calls for.

Height-wise your dog will be fully grown around 1 year old. Many dogs go through a teenage phase between 1 and 2 years old, during which they begin to fill in to their adult weight.

However, even after that point, a dog can continue to gain weight. Both Pugs and Beagles can get up to 20lbs (in a healthy, lean dog), but they can also get quite a lot bigger if they're overfed.

Abby answered on Nov 16th.

Answers

Very hard to say... since he is a mix breed there are no breed standards, and mixes do not breed true to type (that is to say, not all puggles look the same or can be predicted to reach around the same height/weight/temperament etc). So you'll just have to assume somewhere between the standard size of a pug and a beagle I guess - but keep up with the regular exercise, sounds like he is really benefiting from it.

Gia Belle

I am 1 year old and weigh 22 lbs and am full grown!

Gia Belle answered on 11/16/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer