How is parvo contracted?

Hello everyone, I'm glad I found this forum and I hope that someone can give me some relief over my situation. On Tuesday I found a puppy outside of my home. The following days I noticed he was not eating or drinking water. After he did, he would just throw it back up. He was taken to the vet yesterday, and we found out that the poor little guy had parvo. He was put to sleep :( My biggest concern is that I have three other dogs in the home. None of them have any shots (which I know is my fault). I'm fearing for their lives right now. From the readings that I have done on parvo, it's my understanding that it can only be detected 7 to 10 days before the test will show an accurate result after a dog has been in contact with parvo. It was also my understanding that it's contracted by stool, but the dog never pooped the whole time. If there is any information anyone can share with me, I would most absolutely appreciate it. I just wanted to give the puppy a good home.. :(

Asked by Member 614639 on Mar 30th 2008 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Bear and Bambi - Mommys Angels

Google " How is Parvo Spread" it will give you alot of information. Signs, symptoms,how to clean the areas the sick pup was in, etc.

Hope your other babies will be ok.

Bear and Bambi - Mommys Angels answered on 3/30/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Bear had good advice. You should also take your concerns to the vet, if you haven't already.
Good luck with your dogs. Hope that all turns out well.

Makia 1996-2008

Parvo is a very bad disease and you have a right to feel concerned. My advice is to contact a vet as soon as possible and discuss what happened with him/her.

Makia 1996-2008 answered on 3/30/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

i agree with Makia! God Bless your dogs! Hope all turns out very well!

I know,

I had the same situation and the dog only lived 3 days after we found her and we had the animal conrol to pick her up. Well, she said that it is spread through "buissness"(pee and poo) and it stays in the groud for about 2 years!!! That is what the animal control officer said. So play safe and dont let your dog around ANYWERE near were that dog stayed. But I do know bleach kills it and we dumped some in the rocks and cement. Then we replased the grass. I know anydog can get it even IF THEY HAVE THEIR SHOTS,(i would still get them though LOL) is what they said to us. Parvo isn't something you want to mess with. So I hope this helps.

Watson