Rufio

How far can my 4 month old puppy walk?

My Pom will be 4 months next Fri, I'd like to start taking him for walks down this trail near my house since the weather is getting nicer. I hear it's not good for puppies to go for long walks because of their developing bones. At a regular pace, how long is it safe for him to walk? 30 Min-45 Min once a day ok? He has lots of energy!!

Asked by Rufio on Mar 9th 2010 in Exercise & Play

Answers

Hector

What a cutie,
He will let you know. When he starts panting and slowing down, you will need to turn around. If he is too tired, you can always carry him back.
Sometimes they will just sit down. so just watch for signs of "ive had enough" and you will know.

Good luck

Hector answered on 3/9/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I never walk a puppy. I just let them have yard exercise.
It is not good on their joints and ligaments even a little dog.
You can play in the yard in increments instead of taking her on hikes. Be careful in hot weather not to over do it. I guess I am rather protective about puppies and exercising. I tend to find them things to do in my yard to stay away from diseases and wildlife.
I have a secure yard free of coyotes and then I just add things. Like kiddie pools and lots of toys.
I hold off on alot of exercise til around 9 months and then I make it into increments taking into consideration the weather such as the heat mainly then in the winter the below zero weather.
I see some sites say oh let your dog be the judge, but really you have to protect them in some ways if they are just babies you don't want to over do it and have them get sick or hurt themselves. I am really careful with exercise but others might disagree.

Twizzler

Like you said long walks are not advised but, I know poms have lots of energy....especially pom puppies! I would start with 15-20 minute walks at a comfortable pace for Rufio and go from there. I would also talk to your vet to make sure that he agrees!

Rufio is adorable!!!

Twizzler answered on 3/9/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

They say to walk your pup for 5 minutes for each month. Your pup would do just fine with a 20 minute walk. You also need to consider the amount of play time your pup gets around the house and the yard. Rufio will let you know when he's getting tired and it's time for a nap. If he is walking behind you at a slower pace you know he's had enough.
Walking allows them to exercise and socialize but unless your pup is fully vaccinated, I would wait until all vet visits are completed.
He is a cutie.

Hi

I have a 7 month JRT (Sam)- he certainly lets me know how far he wants to walk and always has.
He refuses to come home sometimes and at 1 stage I couldn't say "home".

He could keep going forever if I let him (we go home because I want to not him!!)

I have always tried to not overwork him and I have always been worried about his joints, so he burns off energy by playing but he has been non stop from about 3 months. At that age I was going for a max of 30 minutes once a day (worked best for him as his behaviour was more controlled) but as he needed more I started doing 2 walks.

All I would do is judge it on a day by day case so if he was tired out because we had done too much then i'd cut back again finding the balance and when he's ready to do more we do more!!

Hope our experience helps

Em and Sam