Buddy ~In Loving Memory~

How exactly do flea & tick collars work???

Asked by Buddy ~In Loving Memory~ on May 29th 2009 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Well, er, they don't!

Sad, but true. The vast majority of them are useless against pests at least in any effective measure.

But, that's not your question, I know. I'm just in a Smart Alec Friday kinda mood!

Basically, the collars are impregnanted with flea poision, some of the same chemicals found in bug sprays. Some collars are dipped in it while others have the stuff throughout.

Some studies show that fleas and ticks actually have to come into contact with the collar to cause death and some of the collars have ingredients which repel the pests from the collar, but not necessarily far enough away to not remain on the dog, just towards the hindquarters.

They simply aren't as effective as newer flea meds or daily flea combing and vaccuuming which is a suprisingly effective way to control fleas provided you are consistent. Sure hope that helps!

I agree that in the past flea collars did little. I see no reason some of the effective stuff applied as creams or drops couldn't be in flea collars now.

The best thing is to talk to your vet and let him help you select the one of the wide verity of safe and effective products best for you.

They still sell flea collars???? I haven't seen one in years.

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru

they don't really work very good.
The residue is suppose to get on your dog's skin around the neck then protect from fleas ticks getting on dog.
But, that is not really very effective. Best to try Frontline, it kills then makes the egglings unable to reproduce. Then it kills them.
It is costly but great.

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru answered on 5/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer