How early can you start housebreaking a puppy?

I have a 6 wk. Shih-Tzu and he is so tiny, I am wondering if I should start the potty training now or wait a couple of weeks. What do you think?

Asked by Member 762910 on Nov 21st 2008 Tagged housebreaking, pottytraining in House Soiling

Best Answer

Suzie

The following is a wonderful guide to help you train your new puppy. Speaking from personal experience Suzie has to go out ALOT. If possible crate train her when you are not home. That is outlined in the following:

www.dogownersdigest.com

Good luck with your little bundle of joy!

Suzie answered on Nov 21st.

Answers

You need to start now. Why would you want to wait to potty train your puppy? Small dogs, especially, can be difficult to potty train because their bladders are so tiny and people don't typically understand just how often they need to go outside. You need to make sure that you set rules immediately. If you are going to let your puppy do his business wherever he wants, he is going to think it's okay and when you do finally decide to potty train him, he will be confused because you taught him it was okay to go wherever he wanted. Please message me if you have questions or need tips on potty training. Best of luck with your new puppy! :)

Miss Buddie

Definitely start now. He needs a routine of where it's okay and not okay to potty.

I'll second what the other poster said about little dogs being difficult to train. I would take him outside about 10 or 15 minutes after he eats and at least once an hour.

Miss Buddie answered on 11/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

♥Tiffy♥

The earlier the better. If he gets it, dood. if not, just wait maybe 2 more weeks.

♥Tiffy♥ answered on 11/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Zackintosh CJ

Yes start now! The earlier the better!
heres a training website
www.peaceablepaws.com

Zackintosh CJ answered on 11/22/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer