Boo

How does Dogster pick dog of the day? It doesn't seem very fair to me the way it's done now.

Asked by Boo on Jun 11th 2009 in Contests and Fun

Answers

It's random. Not sure how that's not fair.

If you don't know how its done, then how do you know its not fair???

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 6/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

We have to remember there are 488,150 dogs to date on Dogster, that's a lot of dogs. It would take approximately 13 1/2 years to give every dog their day. A calender year is 365 days and on average 150-200 new members join daily, that's 6 months of possible picks in one day.
Maybe it's done at random, I don't know, I have never contacted HQ to see how the choice is made. Does everyone want their dog to be the chosen one, of course, but in reality it may never happen.
Deogie is my pick of the day everyday and that is what counts for me.
Have a good one.

Most think it's random. Maybe it is, but I've seen too many outstanding members get picked to think so.
From the DOTD blog:
"To be considered for Dog of the Day simply make sure your dog has a profile page on Dogster.com. Our team at Dogster HQ will take it from there."

From the DOTW blog:
"To be considered for Dog of the Week simply make sure your dog has a profile page on Dogster.com. Our judges will take it from there."
"A secret canine consortium picks each week's winner and then securely notifies Dogster HQ by one-of-the-kind woof-o-mail technology that came to us one night in a dream. Decorating your dog's Dogster or getting active on the site will boost their visibility."

And the times I've gotten picked DiaryOTD or DiaryPickOTD, I either had an extra good diary entry or needed support.

If you feel it isn't fair, talk to HQ about it.