How do you train a puppy when there is an older dog in the house which is a distraction?

Four weeks ago I got a small mixed breed dog. She was raised with great early socialization. She is 12 weeks old and very, very, playful. Probably the most active puppy in the litter. I also have a 12 year old, 30 lb. Beagle/German Shepherd mix who has always been very mellow like a Beagle. The two of them play great together and the Beagle mix seems to have taught the puppy how to "play nice". The problem is the puppy prefers playing with the older dog rather than having my attention and is distracted when ever the older dog is around. I can seperate them but only for brief periods of time. I got the puppy to be my little lap dog. What should I be doing to make that happen?

Asked by Member 1037762 on Jun 18th 2011 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Sonny

Don't expect an active pup to be a "lap" dog, for starters.

Puppies only learn in short bursts, so you only need a few minutes, about the time it takes to take the pup out, alone, for a potty break. If the older dog is trained, you could also use "peer" pressure, to get the puppy trained.

Sonny answered on 6/18/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

use the well trained older dog as the teacher.

well I bought my little dog about 11 yrs ago, and he is never going to be a lap dog. He loves me dearly. But, he hates being made over for a long time, he is independant and would rather curl up on a soft blankie.
So they all are different. Try to make the best of it and try taking the dog out to a park to work with him.
I never work a dog with other dogs around. Unless, I am trying to add a distraction which I have to with competing with dogs.
For pet owners I would never recommend a person try to train a dog without the dog full attention.
You will be more successful and it will be a whole lot happier. The dog will be able to learn at his own pace. have fun :)