how do you stop a rat terrier from excessive barking?

Asked by Member 620736 on Apr 13th 2008 in Barking

Best Answer

Athena

Teaching the hush command is an awesome thing. My babies know it well. Try using the method stated above, but make sure you are 100% consistent and don't change any part of the routine or it will be confusing and take longer. If it doesn't seem to work, it may be because giving dogs any kind of positive attention could reinforce the behavior (even if we think it is distracting). And yelling or saying No too loud my seem like you are justing "barking" along. Each dog is different and interprets human behavior differently. Distracting may be affective with your pup but if not those might be the reasons. Good luck.

Athena answered on Apr 13th.

Answers

Tell him that he is a good boy for barking, but after he has done it 2 or 3 times, distract him with something he likes.
He also may be barking out of boredom. Do you play with him? Walk him all he needs? Spend time with him?

I agree with Treader beacuse I am a Rat Terrier!! His advice actully works beacuse eversince I started going hunting I stopped barking less(hunting isn't for all) maybe all you need to give him/her is excersize! And also terriers like to bark. 1st let him bark show him a toy and tell him 'Hush!' if he does give him a toy if he doesn't tell him 'No!' in a stern voice which should make him stop. keep repeating this excersize and instead of using the toy to make him stop tell him to hush. If he learns it inside your house, but outside he barks like crazy tell him 'Hush' or 'No' and bring him in and go over it. This works if repeated time in and time again.

~ anyway goodluck, you'll need it! Milo

Sparkey

Give your dog more exersize. Dont give him attanion when barking

Sparkey answered on 4/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Ren

I'm a rat terrier too and had the same problem.
I walk twice per day, 15 minutes in the mornings and 1 hour pm. I walk to the park on weekends and take regular car rides.
Mom, very calmly, picks me up and sets me on my bed then leaves the room to listen at the door. Every time I whine or bark she comes in and gently places two fingers against my neck to "bite" me puts her finger against her lips (I know this means to be quiet through positive reinforcement training). I usually stay quiet most of the day now.
I'm not allowed to have toys, treats, baby talk, hugs or kisses for the last 15-30 minutes before Mom and Dad leave the house. The curtains on the window are open for me to look outside and get sun, and mom is going to get me a playmate that I like to play with and let me run around the house with him/her which will keep me from getting lonely and bored. I'm a pack animal so being alone isn't in my nature and will give me separation anxiety.

Ren answered on 4/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer