How do you stop a dog from jumping on people?

Asked by Member 889940 on Mar 14th 2010 in Jumping Up

Answers

You can teach it by just attaching a small tether like a cat lead that is thin and long. When the dog goes to jump up you can step on the lead and the dog will self correct itself.
I find this the easiest way but all pups are active and will forget, so be forgiving and keep trying.
If the dog does not jump treat her right away.
I do other work with my dogs so I encourage jumping, maybe other dogsters have better insight on the subject. good luck.

One method is to simply move away when the dog jumps up. That way they don't connect with you. Ask for a sit & praise & treat when you get it. A sitting dog can't jump. If the dog jumps when you turn away, keep an eye out & again, move out of the way & ask for a sit. As Dieta said, be patient, it may take a bit of time. Lil Bear is adorable! Good luck.

Cricket

It's important to know why dogs jump, simple, we're so tall! The canine greeting involves chin licking and ours are hard to reach. A good reward for a polite sit can be a treat and some company on the floor.

Link for training:
www.dogguide.net

I worked with my "neice", Cricket, because she is a fat Lab and launches herself onto guests. (OOF!)
I taught her that when she sat I would immediately get down on the floor and give her a good petting. The second she gets up and I stand and ignore her. She has learned this well and even if I don't see her for months she knows she'll have to sit to get my attention.

I did a lot of "squats" before she sat long enough to really get petted.

Cricket answered on 3/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Gilligan

I learned this trick from a trainer I hired to work with my dog. He was also a specialist in animal psychology and behavior. My neighbor's dog jumped on everyone. He corrected it in less than 5 minutes. Here's how: As soon as the dog jumps up on you or anyone, say a word quietly (he uses uh-oh, but you can use another word just for this). Take the dog gently by the collar, lead it to an empty room and shut the door. Wait three minutes. Let the dog out without saying anything. Encourage the dog to jump up on you by patting your chest, etc. If he does it, immediately repeat the time out procedure. No need to yell, just do it gently. Repeat this until the dog refuses to jump up. Most dogs need only 1 time out, but a stubborn or young dog may need 2 or 3. Here's why it works: the dog learns that if it jumps up (or does any other bad behavior), it will be ousted from it's pack - the thing they dread the most. Try it. You will be amazed!

Gilligan answered on 4/11/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥Candy♥

Well, first of all make your your guests know to step forward instead of step back when jumped on. Stepping back tells the dog he can "boss" people around when he jumps up. Maybe try putting a firm arm in front of you to block the dog and step forward. Don't give any kind of praise when he jumps up either.

♥Candy♥ answered on 9/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer