How do you start your dog on a raw diet?

I have been wanting to transition my dogs to a raw diet for some time now but have NO IDEA how or where to start. Do I just buy the raw meat and put it in their bowl? I would really appreciate some help in this area.

Thank you in advance! :)

Asked by Member 834172 on May 27th 2009 in Raw Food

Best Answer

No, there's a bit more to it than that.... :)

I recommend checking out the Raw Food Diet forum here on Dogster, specifically the "So You are interested in feeding raw..." thread by Gio.

There are also books, such as "Raw Meaty Bones" by Tom Lonsdale or "Raw Dog Food: Make it Easy for you and your Dog" by Carina Beth Macdonald or "Work Wonders" by Tom Lonsdale.

Kolbe answered on May 27th.

Answers

I'm glad that you'd like to start raw. Kolbe gave an excellent answer.
You need to do quite a bit of research before starting raw, not only because you need to provide a balanced meal, but also because there is a lot of controversy on the diet.

Fixing your dog's meal at home is not something to take lightly. I'd rather that someone feed a crappy dog food like Purina than a poorly-balanced raw diet. On the other hand, a well-balanced raw meal is tops!