Princess

How do you make a chihuahua stop barking??

Princess is a nonstop yapper. If she see's anyone that dosn't live in our house, any visitors included, she flips out and won't quit barking.

P.S. I'm not going to do anything cruel and inhumane like snip her vocal cords or hit her or any of that.

thx! Princess, the lovable chihuahua

Asked by Princess on Jul 8th 2009 Tagged barking, stop, princess, chihuahua in Barking

Answers

Allow her a warning bark, because it's what dogs do. If she doesn't shush after that, then she gets put in another room out of view of the people. If she quiets down, she can come back out, but if she starts barking again, away she goes.

You could also teach her to bark on command, and then teach her to shush on command.

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 7/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

TJ

My two adopted Doxies had the same sort of problem and I tried everything. Finally, someone told me a Dog Whisperer Technique that has really worked.

First, you must have them heeling next to you on the leash. This takes just keeping them at your side until you pick the specific spot and time frame in which they do their business.

Then when they are close to you you have to show them you are the Alpha Dog. The way to let them know is by poking them (not hard) in one of three places on the body known to them as where the alpha dog would nip them to show he is in charge. At the same time you pair that with a ssssttttt sound.

You might want to look this up to find a picture of the exact places but they are behind the front and back hanches or on the neck. My dogs respond now to the sssstttt sound in most instances.

However, if a dog runs by or they are startled they still bark or if I let them range where ever they want to go and a dog comes up they may act out.

TJ answered on 7/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Dogs are very sensitive and scared to specific sounds. One of these sounds is a penny or quarter in a can. The metal on metal sound is blood-curling to them. But, it won't hurt them. Every time they bark put a quarter in a can and shake the can. Do this every time they bark. They will eventually hate the sound so much they will quit barking.