how do you know when its time to put ur dog down?

my dog is 13 years old and have cattrays and he can even go up the steps to go in the house. An when one some one's at the door he dose not here them .

Asked by Member 530904 on Nov 14th 2007 in Arthritis

Answers

Here are some thoughts of others:

"One vet I know says a dog should be euthanized "when it can no longer live the life of a dog—and only the owner knows when that really is." A breeder says she puts her dogs down when "their suffering exceeds their ability to take pleasure in life." A trainer I respect believes her dog should live as long as it can eat.

Another friend and dog lover says she always knows when it's time: "when the soul goes out of their eyes."

I'm not among those who believe dogs have souls, but I know what she means. There is a certain visceral "dogness" about dogs, an interest in people, food, squirrels, passing trucks—whatever—that's part of their individual spirits. When that disappears, it does seem the "soul" of the dog is gone. I know other owners—a growing number, according to vets—who fight to keep their dogs alive as long as possible, at all costs."

Hope that helps you a little to make a very hard decision.

A friend of mine asked her vet the same thing and her vet said, "If your dog no longer has three things in his life that make him very happy, then it may be time to let them go."

As tough as this question is, no one can answer that but you. I suppose you must ask yourself, is my dog suffering? I have had to make this decision 2 times in 3 years and it is not easy. But you will know..don't ask me how, you just do. I am very sorry you and your buddy are going through this but let him/her die with dignity. If that makes sense.

Moxie

So the dog has cataracts? So it doesn't see so well and is becoming deaf? Thats it? He can or cannot get up the stairs into the house?

Moxie answered on 11/14/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer