Abbie

How do you introduce a new puppy to your current adult dog?

We are purchasing a German Shepherd puppy in a few months and have a female Jack Russell that is 2yrs old. The puppy will be female also.How do we avoid conflict and insure that they both get along. Our Jack has been socialized with other dogs but can be pushy and is spoiled. She sleeps with us.

Asked by Abbie on Jun 7th 2011 Tagged puppy, socialize in Behavior & Training

Answers

Getting a dog of the opposite gender usually make is much easier. Females can be quite unpleasant with each other unless both are spayed.

Introduce them on neutral ground. Let your current dog know from the start that no aggression is acceptable from either dog.

You might want to start un-spoiling the JRT now to prepare for the new puppy which will upset her perfect world.

We just did that. Take your current dog with you when you pick up the puppy. Have them meet at the breeder. If there is a problem, then you don't have to traumatize the puppy by taking him away then returning him. Also, if it works at the breeder and you take him home, make sure there is a quiet place for your other dog to get away from him when she needs to. Good Luck!

Zoey

We took our GSD puppy to help pick out her new sister. They were from the same parents so the breeders got to see her again which was fun. When we brought home both puppies 7 months apart we had a crate that we had them in until our old dog got use to having them around. He spent a lot of time in my sons room with him and when we took them out to potty we kept them both on a leash and let them sniff each other so he didn't hurt them. Our big concern was that he would do something to hurt them. The 7 month old GSD treated her like her baby so that was very easy for us. I would suggest if possible introduce them in intervals if you see a problem, and work on manners from the start.

Zoey answered on 6/7/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Meet and greet more then once at the new dog's place
Then if you dog likes the puppy then you get it
then once home you seperate and rotate.
in a couple of weeks you re introduce the two on your property.
the seperate and rotate is so the two dogs understand they do pee in the same yard and the scents are there. And it helps them to adjust.
You keep them on leashes so that you can also use the leash to correct any issues that arise.
Eventually this process allows you to slowly adjust them. and then they can respect each other.
Since the one is a puppy you want to supervise every second in the adjustment period so the older dog doesn't hurt the pup and the pup doesn't drive the adult insane! bc a gsd puppy will!!!

I just became mommy to a new puppy myself. She came from a ditch so there was no way to introduce them on neutral ground.

My tiggere is spoiled too, sleeps under the covers with me. I let them meet in the yard at first. I was surprised how well it went. She was really weak from starvation and I think he know it. Sharing food was not an issue.

One thing about the bed though. I wouldn't suggest letting the new one on the bed unless maybe the first dog invites him with a toy. Our puppy jumped up once and Tigger pushed her off. The next day he wanted her there. She isn't much of a jumper though.

Just give it time and make sure everyone gets equal attention. Tig was jealous at first but still behaved okay. A bit depressed though. So I made sure to have him next to me while I petted her. Now they are best friends. We were going to adopt her out but I decided to keep her. lol.