Ella

How do you housetrain an 8 year old dog?

At first, she had a bladder infection so going in the house was understandable, and she still has it but the infection is clearing up because of the antibiotics. She's on day 5 of a 10 day antibiotic treatment, and already she's made a significant improvement.

She knows that going in the house is bad, she just doesn't care. She waits for the split second you turn your back and then pees on the carpet really fast. I let her and my other dog out several times a day, and I have my eye on her all of the time so there's no real reason for it. She won't go in my bedroom (where she eats, sleeps and hangs out), but the family room seems to be her personal grass.

She's had 2 accidents in the house since her health improvement (and about 5 total in the past 8 days). I let them outside every 1-2 hours because of her infection.

Is there a way to correct this problem? I would like to be able to cook without worrying she's going to pee somewhere.

Asked by Ella on Jul 18th 2011 Tagged chihuahua, housetrain, adult, dog in House Soiling

Answers

Sonny

Sadly her former owner must have punished her for peeing indoors and didn't reward her for going outside.

The process for an 8 year old is the same as a puppy. I use bell training for tough cases.

Here is a link on training:
www.howtodothings.com

Sonny answered on 7/18/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Give her cranberry pills for her bladder infections, it'll clear the infection up in couple days.

Check out Cesar Millan's website -

www.cesarsway.com