How do you get your dog to take a pill?

I have been wrapping it in cheese but she is suddenly rejecting that and spitting the cheese and the pill out. Can you crush pills for dogs? They are glucosamine chondroitin and tramadol.

Asked by Member 1031477 on Apr 21st 2011 in Senior Pet

Best Answer

No..do NOT crush pills, for dogs or people. Peanut butter is great, or any other tasty treat. You might have to switch it up..cheese, hotdogs, pb, meatballs, raw steak..whatever it takes.

answered on Apr 21st.

Answers

You can put the pill in a scoop of peanut butter, my dogs never notice that a pill is in the peanut butter. You can crush the pill up for the dog, he may take it that way. Put the crushed pill in some type of food like peanut butter or cream cheese.

Deogie loves the Pill Pockets. My vet sells them but you can also purchase them in most pet stores. You simply put the pill inside and smooch the pocket around the pill. Deogie's loves the meaty smell and it's soft, not much chewing needed.

Isabelle RIP

We used lunch meat and bread the most with Isabelle. I would buy thin cut turkey, chicken, and ham and wrap the pills in it. She would actually get excited when it came time for pills.

Isabelle RIP answered on 4/22/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Pets always like the pressed bones, knotted bones in that we can put a pill in that easily For More info:www.petsitting.com

If your dog likes to catch things in the air that will work if you toss it over their head.
You can also wash your hands off before handing it to them they can smell the odor of it. Tramadol has a strong odor so does the gluco.

Another trick put the dog outside so he can't see you put the pill in it.

If all fails they sell liverwurst and stinky cheese that dogs love ! so check out the entire stinky cheeses out there. The stinky ones also are very very sticky, they will cling around the pills. I wear rubber gloves too to cover up my scent.

I had a male shepherd who would not swallow any pills, he always knew no matter what of those tricks I tried. He was so smart and crafty.
So unfortunely, I had to do the whole hand down the throat, thing. Mom hated to do it, but I had no choice. I ran out of ideas.

I wouldn't crush the pills. I'd try peanut butter or a piece of lunch meat. If that doesn't work, you can always tip her head back, open her mouth, and put the pill on the very back of her tongue, then watch to make sure she swallows it. It's not pretty and I don't like doing it with mine, but I feel like it's my responsibility to make sure my dog gets the medication she needs to stay healthy.