How do you get two male dogs to stop fighting to be the top dog?

Asked by Member 680350 on Aug 14th 2008 Tagged aggression, maledogs in Aggression

Answers

Are you sure that they're fighting to be the top dog?
Are they hurting themselves when they're fighting or growl in an angry mode?
If no it means that they're only playing.
If yes, it might be because of a female dog. If there's a female dog around try to do something so the male dogs don't see it anymore.
They're both your dogs?
If no, try all you can to stop them to meet.
If yes and there's no female around, you should try to separate them untill they'll calm. You could talk to a vet also, maybe he/she know a way to stop them,

Are they neutered? Are they actually fighting? You kind of had a vague answer here, so hope I can help you still. Male dogs will fight for the dominant position when YOU ARE NOT THE DOMINANT ONE. If you are their leader, then you shouldn't have issues. I currently have 3 males in my house, and not one of them fights with the other. From time to time, they will test me to see if I am still going to tell them who is boss, and sometimes a Doberman might try to pick on a Chihuahua or vice versa, but I don't let the behavior happen. What do you do when they fight? If you have let this behavior happen, it will be more difficult to fix. Not impossible, just more difficult. You need to start out by becoming their leader. Take them on walks, give them rules, make sure they get disciplined for not doing what you ask. They are trying to fight for the dominant role because you haven't taken it. Let me know if you need more help here.

Watch them, decide who has the upper paw (if you excuse the expression LOL), and take the losing dog's back legs and turn him over onto his back.