Peanut( P-Baby)

How do you get rid of your chihuahua's bad breath? HELP ME PLEASE! LOL

I am looking for a way to get rid of my chihuahua's bad breath! I have tried the green dental bones and they made him sick,and he is very sensitive to getting his teeth brushed and goes into like a nervous asmatic attack from us holding him down to brush them and also very peculiar about his water when we add anything to it and will hardly drink it. Please, any advice would be great:) Thank you!

Asked by Peanut( P-Baby) on Sep 15th 2012 Tagged badbreath, dentalcare, chihuahuabreath, stinkybreath, breath in Dental Care

Answers

Gross I KNOW the smell & the vomit from the "greenies" By the way were on a recall list a few years ago. Chihuahusas are nervous dogs anyways, you can always try the water treatments that the local pet store sells BUT I really recommend having that dogs mouth checked by your vet, maybe the smell is from bad teeth in the back or ones impacted. They can clean the dogs teeth while put under like a neuter/spay & its easy

Raw Meaty Bones are the absolute best way to get healthy gums & keep teeth clean. The action of tearing & gnawing are a great dental for dogs.

Another user mentioned RMBs (raw meaty bones), and I concur.
You could feed an RMB once a week or so, and this should help.
Here's a good thread about meat cuts you can use: www.dogster.com

Petri

Have you tried putting a tooth cleaner/breath freshener onto a cotton ball and wiping off his teeth? Wasn't sure if he'd get as nervous as the toothbrush.

Petri answered on 9/20/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Miss Lily Chin

My Japanese Chin had extremely foul smelling breath when we adopted her 8 months ago. When we took her in to get her spayed, we had her teeth cleaned while she was already under anasthesia. It turned out her teeth were in horrendous condition. They had to remove eleven total. It's been a rough few weeks getting her back on her food, but the foul breath is gone. I'd vote for the teeth. Definitely have them checked, and I agree with another poster. Brushes don't really work on some small dogs. Try a small baby wash cloth on your finger along with canine toothpaste. Gently ease it into his mouth, and see if he can get used to that. Good luck!

Miss Lily Chin answered on 2/21/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer