how do you get rid of ticks for 4 month old puppies?

i have 2 for month old puppies. my friend had a tick problem and now mine do. the vet says they have to be 6 months for treatment but i am worrying because my friends dog got a disease from a tick? is there anything i can do to prevent this i check them everyday and remove ticks.

Asked by Member 613781 on Mar 28th 2008 in Health & Safety

Best Answer

Hi there! I have a Bichon Frise that no matter what would get ticks(before I started using tick treatment) and I mean we walked around the grocery store parking lot and he got two from rubbing against a bush, thankfully I seen them right away(I always check him after he has been out, even though he uses a topical tick treatment)I have had good luck with K-9 Advantix(you can get it from the vet or pet store) and it is safe for puppies as young as 7 weeks! I would reask your vet about topical treatments. Ticks can be very dangerous and sometimes deadly. Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you :)

answered on Mar 29th.

Answers

Just keep checking them everyday, and pray for them too.

Dora

The precious little ones are so young that's why there isn't much you can put on them as far as treatment wise. Just keep cheking them everyday as you have been and remove any that you see. Hopefully with your quick action, they will be just fine.

Dora answered on 3/29/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Dudley

Well, i know people might get grumpy at it. Why are they outside so much getting ticks? Eitherway, I used 7dust outside around the yard. I also favored napping spots just to make sure.

And keep on checking them everyday, and the warmer it gets outside the more prolific the ticks are sure to be come.

Good Luck!!

Dudley answered on 3/29/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Izzie

I agree, the first question is why do you have such a tick over population anyway. Secondly, you may be able to use diatomaceous earth in your home and around the foundation of the house to naturally help kill the ticks. Diatomaceous earth is made from diatoms, tiny (dead) sea creatures that are sharp, their skeletons cut the bodies of the bugs and the bugs in turn dry up. As for the pups, just keep doing thorough checks and combing them out, keep them in areas you know are tick free. Pups at this age really need good care. Have the ticks infested the house? If not, just let the pups out to relieve themselves then keep them indoors until the tick problem is controlled.

Izzie answered on 3/29/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Are you sure you spoke to a vet??? Is his solution to leave them untreated? Ticks suck blood from the pup! He'll be dead by the time this vet is able to "treat" him. Ticks are a big problem in some parts of the country and all dogs are subject to infection. Go to a pet or grocery store and buy some flea/tick shampoo. Follow the directions for bathing pup in it and you'll need to comb him well. Put a flea/tick collar on him and get a new vet!

Bear

yes the vets say 6 months but most flea meds have been tested on puppies younger then 4 months and it was tested safe for them. so maybe you need to find a new vet.

Bear answered on 3/29/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer