Gomer

How do you get rid of the odor of Basset Hounds?

I have an un spayed 2 year old Basset Hound but I was wondering if there was any way to et rid of her "hound odor"?

Asked by Gomer on Oct 17th 2007 Tagged smell, odor, basset, houne, bassethound, indoor in Bathing

Answers

While some dogs are more likely to have body odor or bad gas, the majority of "dog odor" is caused by what we feed our dogs.

If you feed a food that includes a lot of fillers (corn, wheat, sorghum) and that includes a lot of low quality ingredients (meat meal, fish meal, byproduct, etc.) then your diet may very well be to blame.

Try switching to a higher quality food such as Blue Buffalo or Nature's Variety (both can be found at PetCo/Petsmart) or an even better food like Canidae, Merrick's, or Innova, and give it about a month. Your dog's smell should improve as well as her overall appearance and amount and size of stools.

Leon

I agree with the other post, my mommie had a friend that had a yellow lab that smelled horrible. They discovered she had a food allergy and couldn't tolerate certain foods. As soon as she was put on a dog food without certain ingredients (I think she was allergic to wheat and corn), she stopped smelling.

Leon answered on 10/18/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I agree that food sometimes causes a foul odor in dogs.

I also think that there could be an underlying medical reason for the odor.

A healthy dog does not smell bad, regardless of breed.

Make sure she's healthy with a visit to the vet and also check her ears for signs of ear infection or excess ear wax...that can have a foul odor if she has dirty or infected ears. Purple-brown colored ear wax is a sure sign of infection.