Petey

How do you get my dog to stop licking his paws?

My 2 year old Miniature Schnauzer keeps licking and biting his paws and I am worried that they might start to get raw or make an open wound. Is it just a habit and how do I stop him from licking and biting his paws? He just got groomed and the groomer said there were no cuts or any irritation.

Asked by Petey on Jul 4th 2010 in Methods of Training

Answers

snickers

My dog snickers dose that too 24/7 she is licking her paws she has done it for quite a few years.The vet said its just a habit. But she is almost solid white are used to be now her legs and paws are a brown color I have tryed all kinds of stain remover for dogs but it just don't work:( I don't have a clue how to get her to stop I have tryed more walks more play time, rawhide bons, kongs filled with treats and peanut butter maybe one will work for your dog.

snickers answered on 7/4/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Charlie Pete

I would try changing his diet. This can be a sign of a food or other allergy, rather than a bad habit. He licks because it itches.

Charlie Pete answered on 7/4/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Cricket

It may be a food allergy, this is a common place for dogs to itch if they are allergic to their food.

If it is "just a habit", it's a sign of anxiety and boredom. Keeping him busy and well exercised will help relax him so he doesn't lick.

Medications don't solve the problem without some work to retrain the behavior from his owners.

Cricket answered on 7/5/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It can be several things.... allergies, dryness, stepped on something poky outside, etc. Hard to tell. Since you said they look ok and don't have any cuts or redness, wash them well with soap and water. A lot of times this will stop the behavior. It it continues and sores or dryness develop a really fantastic set of products is PETfection Paw Cream and Hot Spots/Wound Spray. They are 100% Organic and Non Toxic and are great at healing up any dryness, cuts, redness, itchiness, etc. They will also help block out infection. You can check them out at www.myPETfection.com if you are interested. Hope this helps!