Lulu

How do we get our dog to stop barking at the television?

I am a recently rescued puppy mill beagle who is 7, and I watch television intently. I seem to work myself up and then start barking and baying nonstop. My owners have read controversial discussions about whether the Dog Whisperer's correction methods work or if it is best to reward a dog when she doesn't bark. Any good ideas for my folks to help me out?

Asked by Lulu on Nov 10th 2008 in Barking

Answers

Dexter

Have you tried distracting her with a toy? It may be that this is foreign to her and she just doesn't understand what is going on. She knows she hears people but can't smell them or touch them and that can't seem natural to her. If she was from a puppy mill, chances are she never saw a TV before you rescued her.

My lab, Dexter, does this occasionally but only when the kids have it up really loud, I think it hurts his ears, or if he hears wildlife sounds.

Dexter answered on 11/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I used to bark at everything. Still bark at the tv occasionally. Most things I used to bark at cuz I wasn't familiar with them. The tv still has strange noises & I see dogs on it. I think it is a window and these dogs are outside my window! Mom & Dad distract me and feed me special treats (very tiny, to keep my figure) so when I hear something weird, I think it's a good thing. I have come to like the tv most of the time because I get to snuggle on the couch with them. Most people shouldn't do what the Dog Whisperer does. There are gentle ways to be alpha, instead of scolding your dog, remember to praise it. Most people forget to praise because when they aren't bothered by their dogs they do nothing. When they are bothered, they react with scolding or worse. Makes us dogs lose confidence--if we have no positive praise to know when we are good--so we don't have a measure of how to act. It is not obvious to us what humans want. We need praise when we are well-behaved to know.