How do I train my puppy not to bite and listen to instructions? HELP!

My puppy is a poodle. He is 5 months old right now. He does not listen to our instructions(like come, stay, stop) He gets mad easily and sometime he bites us too. He even bites the vet and the nurse when we go to the clinic. What should I do!?

Asked by Member 1148016 on Jan 3rd 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

What should you do? TRAIN THE DAMN DOG!!!
Seems to be a rash of these posts. Dogs do NOT train themselves, they need responsible owners who can look beyond the cute puppy & see the adult dog. ANY behavior you do not want in an adult dog should NEVER be allowed under the guise of "ooh, cute puppy".
Enroll in obedience classes, socialize him extensively, stop spoiling him. Don't let him bite you. This is a young dog, about to be a bratty teenager. Get this under control now!
What training have you done? What exercise does he get? What discipline style do you use?
Look into positive training methods. "The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Pat Miller, is a great intro book for how to train using positive methods.
Poodles are highly intelligent, and known for their temperament. I often recommend them as a good breed for novice dog owners because of their wonderful nature & willingness to forgive training mistakes. What do you know about his genetics & breeding? Reputable breeder, or a BYB?

Dexter

Sign him up for some training lessons!!! Here are some tips:
For biting: every time he bites you over react with the pain say OUCH!! In a way that hell stop and then give him an appropriate toy
Sit: place a treat infront of your dogs nose and bring the treat to his back as an instinct not to fall he will sit you will give the command and give him the treat for more information on how to train your dog GET A TRAINOR!!!

Dexter answered on 1/3/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

gidget

A SPRAY BOTTLE WORKS GREAT FOR DISIPLINE AND IS HARMFUL TO YOUR DOG, JUST PUT WATER AND WHEN THEY DO SOMETHING, SAY NO AND ONE SPRAY, WORKS EVERYTIME I TRAIN A NEW DOG

gidget answered on 1/3/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

PLEASE do not follow Gidgets advise and spray your dog instead of training him. Spraying only teaches the dog to avoid you, it does nothing to teach him what he should be doing instead.
Once again, Wiley is spot on...did you really think this puppy was going to turn out well with no training? It doesn't work like that, BUT, it isn't too late.
Please enroll him in a good positive based obedience class. Five months is not too old to teach him to be a good pet, but you must realize, he needs to be taught. It will not work unless you commit to the training and do your homework. No puppy comes automatically trained, it is hard work to raise a well behaved dog and unless you are willing to put in the time and effort, you need to think about rehoming this puppy with someone who will!!

I think you should hire a professional trainer for your dog. He will train your dog very well as compare to yourself. If you want to train your dog then I am suggesting a link which will be helpful for you.
www.dog