How do I train my puppies to use a puppy pad?

I have two puppies; they are brothers. I think it would be easy to train one to use a puppy pad, but he likes to do the same thing as the other one, who is a lot harder to work with. I need advice on training them both at the same time. I love them both to pieces, but I don't know how I am going to be able to keep them both if I can't get them to use the puppy pads.

Asked by Member 537555 on Nov 27th 2007 in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Puppy pads are horrible. There is very FEW reasons to ever use and train your dog to use puppy pads. Crate train both dogs to be housebroken. Read about crate training and follow it exactly. You must be very consistent when potty training a dog(s).

Take them outside on a leash, crate them when you are not home, or if they have not gone potty outside or if they went inside, do not give them opportunity to go inside by keeping them with you at all times, get a small crate that gives them just enough room to stand up and turn around so they learn how to hold it as they do not want to go where they sleep.

answered on Nov 27th.

Answers

~Emma~ RL1

I think in the long road the puppy pad will create more problems. My brother and his girlfriend used a pad for their mini doxie, and a year later that poor pup is finally starting to get the hang of going outside. I think it's a little confusing for pups to figure that situation out. You always want to set your dog up for success. If you havent done this before there are wonderful postings in the "forums" section under "puppy place." Patience, & perserverence (sp.) are what you need. Good Luck. I tried looking on the web to find you some info but all of the info was actually an add for pads. try this for potty training your pups "leerburg.com

~Emma~ RL1 answered on 11/27/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hi there. Puppy pads are not for everyone that's for sure. I have sucessfully housetrained several puppies by using puppy pads. I've found as gross as it sounds, waiting until they mess to lay down a pad and lay it on top of the pee spot in the middle of pad so the pee is then on the pad. And here's the gross part once they poo make a smudge of the poo on the pad for scent purpose and it seemed to do the trick. Once you see one of the pups go to the pad and use it give them praise so they are aware that's the place to go. Make sure you place the pad in the same place every time though so there's no confusion. Hope this helps and good luck.

It is hard work training two puppies at the same time.

But, the advice I have for you is that you should NOT use pee pads. Dogs have an innate instinct that kicks in at about three or four weeks of age. That instinct makes them not want to eliminate where they live. Keeping puppy pads in the house might SEEM convenient to you, but it completely messes with your puppies' sense of instinct and cleanliness and it is really, REALLY hard to get a dog back on track that has been used to pee pads.

I have a basic potty training guide in Jack's diary (scroll back through the entires a bit and you'll find it.) I'd also recommend a small, cheap book you can get at most bookstores called, "How to Housetrain a Dog in 7 Days." It really, REALLY works. There's only one catch: you have to be consistent and dedicate time and energy to this.

Puppies are like kids. Consistency and dedication are key. You're the "parent" in this situation and you need to be the one responsible!

Maximillion Bear Bonapardt

well when you see your dogs sniffing around,or after a nap,after eating or drinking,or even playing put the puppies on the pad and if they go potty on the pad give them a treat.

Maximillion Bear Bonapardt answered on 11/28/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer