How do I train my Jack Russell Terrier to walk off leash

I love taking walks with my Jack Russell and I would like to know how to walk her without a leash.

Asked by Member 769478 on Nov 17th 2008 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Don't do it unless and until she has a 100% foolproof recall. In other words, never until she always comes when called no matter how tempting distractions there are.
Start practicing the recall in a low distraction environment. When she is 100% foolproof on her recall there, build up to the highest distractions available. Always practice on leash first and make sure that you're comfortable before doing it offleash.
You might get a trainer to help you out.

NEVER walk her offleash where it is illegal to do so. Check the laws before walking her offleash.

CODY 2010 R.I.P.

Dude,

No matter how well trained a dawg is, walking off leash is taking a chance. You don't want your dawg to run off, get lost, or get hit by a car.

If you insist on practicing, try a fence in yard, a high school track, or an enclosed dog park. Lots of treats. Work hard on looking both ways crossing the street.

Good Luck & Be Safe,
- Mr. Cody Boxer

CODY 2010 R.I.P. answered on 11/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Zackintosh CJ

I wouldn't recommend letting your dog (No matter how well trained) off-leash. However if you really want to -and warnings aside- your dog should have a 90% reliable recall (Don't excpect your JRT to be 100% reliable, humans aren't 100%, much less dogs)
around very strong distractions. And never call her to do something aversive (punishing, bathing, whatever she dosen't like)
I had a JRT for 5 years, and she was an off-leash outdoor dog all her life, and with no training had a fairly good recall. But most JRTs are NOT reliable off-leash. If you do let her off-leash, be sure she has current ID tags (and/or microchip) and check the leash law in your town.

Zackintosh CJ answered on 11/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer