How do I train my dog to not bark when every time I leave?

I just adopted a standard poodle that is 10 months from my local shelter four days ago. Two days ago he was acting funny so I took him to the vet and he had kennel cough that had progressed to early stages of pneumonia. I have been giving him his medicine and he is feeling much better. I work from home so I am not gone a lot but I do leave two times a day for about 1-2 hours and when I do he barks. I live in a condo building so I need to work on making this stop sooner then later, especially since he has a loud bark!

Asked by Member 1139717 on Nov 8th 2012 Tagged condo in Barking

Answers

Try to leave the radio on, with music or the news on, maybe TV, see what he likes best. Remember you adopted this beautiful dog, but he knows already, how is to feel abandoned, you are his world, he is just expressing that he is nothing with put you, you just need patience and time to let him know, you love him and are coming back to him . Good luck!

Exercise him well before you leave so he is tired and will sleep.

Keep him busy with lots of yummy chewtoys like frozen kongs with something REALLLLY delicious that he loves inside. My pup likes ears and braided bullysticks with peanut butter as well as trachea with a few treats inside and pb on each end.

As the previous poster said, leave the tv or radio on a channel the dog likes. My cat likes opera and my dog likes car racing. They seem most settled with NPR.

I agree with both answers here. If you are gone for only 1 - 2 hours then you can leave the tv or music on for him. It is his way of telling you that he will miss you. You can crate train him. That will solve many of your problems.