Shoogy

How do I tell if my dog is in heat or pregnant?

Im a new dog owner, well I've had a dog before but it was a male dog. I've never owned a female dog. Shes 10 months old and I havent really noticed if shes in heat or not but I've noticed over the past couple days her nipples are bigger. thats all I've noticed so far. Shes still full of energy and always wants to play so her behavior hasnt changed but we had some dogs come into our yard this past sunday. One of them tried to eat her food and she growled and parked at them. They ran off when she did that. The dogs havent been back since; not that I've heard about anyway. So what signs should I be looking for if she is about to go in heat becuase I dont need any puppies right now.

Asked by Shoogy on Sep 1st 2009 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

B.J., CGC

The simpliest way to tell if your dog ISN'T in heat is to get her spayed ASAP!!! Normally a dog will begin heat by bleeding, but some dogs are cleaner than others and it is easily missed. Nipple enlargement usually occurs after heat whether the dog is pregnant or not. Get her spayed right away and you won't have to worry OR contribute more dogs to the ones already dying for lack of homes.

B.J., CGC answered on 9/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You really need to have her spayed a.s.a.p. as it seems you aren't dog savvy enough to have an intact dog.

I don't know where you got her, but most rescue groups and shelters spay and neuter before adoption. Does her paperwork include this info?
Faint scar on her belly?
If not get her spayed before she does go into heat.

Get her spayed and there will be no more guessing. Ever.
I so hope you're not thinking of breeding her---if that's why you're not spaying her.
Please don't add any more dogs to the shelters.

Your life will be made so much easier never having to worry about whether your dog is in heat or whether the neighbors dog impregnated her.

Roxie

If she's about to come into heat she will swell up and she will discharge and eventually bleed. And you will have male dogs all over your yard. If she's pregnant her teets will start to get bigger and she calm down quite a bit.

Roxie answered on 9/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Katie

Hi Shoogy!

I agree with all the others. Based on your age, and the fact you're not spayed, you are probably going into your first heat. Your behavior may become nervous or fearful, or you may not show major symptoms.

If other dogs can get into your yard, you are in danger. Females in heat can be attacked and killed or gravely injured, and MUST be kept indoors during the whole time - which is usually around 3 weeks, but could be shorter or longer.

If your vet says it's OK to spay now, get it done. Females that are spayed before their first heat have their chances of getting breast cancer cut in half! Each time you go into heat, your chances of cancer increase, a lot.

Since your breed is unknown, there is no reason at all for you to ever get pregnant, and many reasons to get spayed right away. If you do get pregnant, sometimes it's not too late for a spay/abort. Talk to your vet, and get it done as soon as you can.

I was spayed at four months, and am healthy and happy. Good luck!

Katie answered on 9/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer