How do I talk my father into letting me and my sister get a dog?

We have had dogs before. Sadly we had to put them both down due to cancer. We had to put the last one down in October, My father is concerned he is going to "get stuck with the dog" because I will be going to college soon. My mother, sister, and I want to get a dog but my dad says no. So how can we change his mind?

Asked by Member 1149626 on Jan 12th 2013 in Adoption & Rescue

Answers

If he doesn't want another dog then you should respect his decision especially if you are going off to college in a few years because he pretty much will be stuck with the dog. But you could always promise your dad that you will pay for food, medical bills or something else that might help. Or if you are a short distance from you could always tell him you would come home whenever you can and help with stuff around the house or with your sweet pooch. Hope that helps.

Have your mom and sister promise to the dad that they will be the one to look after the dog because they really 'want one.' :) REALLY convince him that you and your mom and sister will take good care of the dog and that your dad wont have to fret. This worked with my family as well, lol.

It kind of sounds like your dad is not ready for a new dog. Maybe you need to give him a bit more time