RIP KANE - 11-2008 to 7-2010

How do I stop my rott from climbing my fence?

Once again I am here for help. Cane has started climbing the fence in the back yard,. I never leave her outside more than an hour. But lately, when I let her out to pee, which she does (never in the house) I go back inside for a cup of coffee and she is over the fence. I am so afraid she is going to get hit by a car or scare someone. She is a overly friendly puppy, but her size would scare even me.
Some one please tell me what I need to do.
She has been nurtured.

Asked by RIP KANE - 11-2008 to 7-2010 on Jul 31st 2009 in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Bandit

I will tell you what I did with Bandit. Bandit did the same thing once he was about 6 months old he would run and climb over the fence. He only did it when no one was outside. I started taking him out on a leash. It was a pain in the butt but I never let him outside without the leash on so he couldn't jump the fence. If a person or car went up the alley he couldn't go and bark at them. This trained him that he couldn't be chasing things up the alley and to stay at my side. After doing this for a while he was fine then I started letting him out off of the leash. He started trying to jump the fence again. He was about 8 months old and EVERY time I let him out I went outside also. If he got near the fence I would say in a loud firm voice "no" and walk over to him and point to the house so he would walk away from the fence. It took a lot of time and work but now he doesn't jump the fence. Now he is a year and a half and doesn't jump the fence at all. Also lots of excersise.

Bandit answered on Jul 31st.

Answers

Neka

It sounds like she is board out of her mind.

How much does she get out for walks & socializing? How often, and for what length of time do you spend training?

Rotties need a LOT of attention, excersize and socialization. A rottie over the age of 8 months need a strong hour of walking, running or biking every day. They also need 1/2 to 1 hour of mental stimulation each day to keep the bordom to a minimum. Games like "fetch" "hide and seek" odediance training, agility, and even loure coursing can be a good answer.

Neka answered on 7/31/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You could try adding some chickenwire or something he couldn't get his paws in. Coyote Rollers might work. I don't have a link, try searching.

Auda abu Tayi

Hi, my person keeps us from climbing the fence by having an electric wire on the top and bottom of the fence.

The bottom wire keeps us from digging and the top wire from climbing. We get a lot of walks and attention, but sometimes the grass is so much greener on the other side of the fence, especially if there is a ??!!!Squirrel?!!?!

Some people say the electric fencing is cruel, but we agree that getting out, lost, or hit by a car is a lot more cruel then risking a minor shock that causes no lasting pain or damage. Some of us are just mischievous, we will get out no matter how much attention, or how good our care is. The electric wire keeps us honest and out of a lot of trouble.

Auda abu Tayi answered on 7/31/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

You can clip her nails, so when she will try to climb the fence her nails will not hook onto the fence. Mostly dogs climb fences because there bored or they need lots of exercise and kane is trying to get that exercise by escaping and playing all she wants. You can put sticks or rocks around the place she trys to climb. You can also give her something that will keep her busy like a kong filled with peanut butter or yogurt or soft dog food to keep her busy from climbing the fence.

I hope this helps!
She is so cute!