Kona

How do I stop my puppy from crying in his crying/yelping in his crate?

He wakes up every morning around 6am and doesn't stop crying/barking until we let him out! We've tried ignoring him, telling him "No," and giving him toys. We try not to let him out until 8am when we wake up for work or until he stops crying, but it's really hard to get sleep with all the noise!! Any suggestions?

Asked by Kona on Mar 15th 2008 Tagged crying, crate in Crate Training

Answers

You have to ignore him completely. Treader would whine in his crate for a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time, but we didn't say anything to him, didn't look at him, and he quit. Sometimes it takes a ton of patience

Beau

How many hours has he been in his crate by 6 AM? Does he have to go outside to do his business? His site says he's 2 months old - if that's correct, maybe he does need to go outside.

I will say that I did not crate train either of my dogs. But I know that even when I took water up a few hours prior to bedtime, they still both still had to go outside and piddle a couple of times a night for a while.

Beau answered on 3/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Jiggs  CGC

I agree, its possible Kona has to go out and do his business, I guess the question is what time do you put him in the crate. You probably would rather he wake you than soil his crate however, if he is just whining to get out you need to ignore him as any attention positive or negative he is given, will reinforce this behavior. You can put a toy in the crate at night so its in the crate when he wakes and he can chew or play until you get up. It might help if you take Kona for a long walk before crating him in the evening or playing with him to tire him out before bed time.

Jiggs CGC answered on 3/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I'm looking at Kona's Dogster profile and it says that he is only 2 months old.

At only 2 months old, Kona is very much like a human baby. He won't be able to hold it the entire night long. A good rule of thumb with young puppies like this is that they should be able to hold their pee 1 hour for each month of age, plus one. So, at 2 months old, Kona should not have to hold it for more than 3 hours at a time, and probably is not able to.

If you take him out of the crate and outside and he goes immediately, then he really needed to go. If you take him out and he just runs around the yard and tries to get you to play, he's been doing it for attention.

The "ignore" method that Gray is talking about is designed for dogs who are being crate trained and who can hold it. It sounds like Kona is not yet ready to hold it for that long. I would make it part of your schedule to take him out at 6 and then get some more sleep. As he gets older, you can have him in the crate longer.

Roxie

I agree with the other posters. When I first got Roxie, a little older than 2 months, she woke me up numerous times at night to go to the bathroom. She'd cry, I'd get up, bring her to her pad, and then she'd happily go back in her crate. I personally never ignore a pups first cry, take them outside or to their pad and if its not that they need to take care of their business, then proceed to ignore further cries. But never just take them out for anything other than potty if theyre crying. Both of my girls sleep in their crates 90% of the time and dont cry anymore because they can hold their bladder longer.

Roxie answered on 3/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Duke

He needs to go potty. He is not old enough to hold it very long.

The only thing I can try to say to do is let him go potty later at night and then he might sleep later in the morning.

Duke "Blue Devil" Ford answered on 3/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Rocky

Here's what work for us. Our 3 month old puppy is silent until we wake up, sometimes around 10am.
Get an x-pen and put the crate in there with the door off. Leave a potty pad out so he can easily go potty whenever he wants.
Then he won't soil in his bed or cry when he has to go outside to potty. He may still cry because he's used to getting a response out of you but just ignore him and eventually he will give up.

Rocky answered on 3/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer