How do I stop my puppies from fighting!???

They're both 7 weeks old, they are from different litters but same breeder, one is pitbull & one is a boxer. The pitbull plays too rough because he was use to only playing with his mom who played rough with him & the boxer is use to fighting with his littermates. The pitbull plays so rough that the boxer thought hes trying to fight so he starts fighting back & the pit makes him yelp, hes even bit through skin once(not bad though because he only has tiny teeth). I always break it up but they still do it, I'm afraid it'll turn into a habit when they're older. I usually swat their nose or butt & they stop but last tine I did it the boxer got rlly scared, what is another effective way I can handle it? Don't tell me I shouldn't of bought two puppies at the same time because its too late. Other then them fighting, they do really good!

Asked by Member 1102759 on Mar 28th 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Do you have cages for them? I would separate them when they start to get too rough, put them into their cages for time out. Give each puppy time with you by itself and supervise all play. Don't leave them alone together unsupervised. Join a training club as soon as possible.

It doesn't sound like fighting, it sounds like rough play and two rambunctious puppies. They are much too young to be showing real aggression- REAL fighting is a different ballgame altogether, and is a SERIOUS red flag in a puppy that young. I don't think you're dealing with real aggression though, just puppy craziness.

Just be happy your puppies like each other and can burn off steam this way. They will probably figure out each other's play style better as they get a little older, and have fewer yelps and bites. I would just let them sort this out for themselves- it's part of learning to be a dog.

Eddie     -RIP- 2/28/12

Puppies can in fact be aggressive. I have seen this in dogs whose breeding program selected for this trait. It may be that your pups are simply playing rough, but there could also be a problem.

If you want both dogs to be good doggie citizens, they should play with lots of other dogs and puppies, not just other rough players. Look into attending a puppy class, or getting help from a trainer.

Do not hit the dogs, this will likely cause more problems later such as increased aggression (bully breeds in particular) and or it will make the pups afraid of you.

Try teaching the pups to take PLAY BREAKS instead of waiting until they tip into a fight. To do this, say: "Play Break!" Then using both hands, hold a small piece of cheese or a meaty treat in front of each dog's nose. Lure the dogs into a sit & then release them to "Go Play." Repeat this often and separate them when you are not there to supervise.

Eddie -RIP- 2/28/12 answered on 3/29/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer