How do I stop my German shepherd from submissive urination?

My German shepherd is 1 year old and he has delt with submissive urination for most of his life. I have recently realised he does it most with men. He never does it with me and rarely with my mom. It's not as bad whenever people come in the door because we know not to pay attention to him as soon as we walk in. But whenever my stepdad or my brothers try to pet him or get him to go outside he rolls over on his back and pees. I need some serious help because as crazy as it sounds, it's tearing our family apart.

Asked by Member 1111073 on May 16th 2012 Tagged germanshepherddogsubmissiveurinationhelpbehaviorproblemexcitement in Behavior & Training

Answers

He might be a bit scared. If anyone in your family is using hands on punishments, (pinning him down, staring him down, hitting etc..) they need to stop. I would socialize him more with strangers and men. Ignoring him is usually the best and Enzyme cleaner should help clean up the messes.

Koby

Koby does the same thing. Jax did it until she was around 2. He will grow out of it. We just make sure all the greetings are done in the kitchen so his messes are easy to clean up. They can't help it. It's like a reflex reaction.

Koby answered on 5/16/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer