How do I stop my (foster) dog from cowering and peeing only at a certain time?

I have been fostering a dogs for about 2 mos. now. It is just my dog and myself in the home. But, when my daughter comes home from college, an issue has come to light. The dog seems to cower and pee when I'm around (not my daughter). What is routine has turned into a cower and pee. I go to put on her coat for a walk, and she cowers and pees. I wipe her paws, which I've done countless times, and she pees. I go to give her a treat and she pees. She stops sitting on my lap and stays in another room all together.

Last night, my daughter stayed at a friend's house. This morning, when I let the foster dog out of her kennel (that is at the end of my bed), she ran to my daughter's room, realized she wasn't there, and was back to herself, wagging her tail and sitting on my lap and accepting treats. My daughter will be back home later today and I'm afraid this will start over again.

I have not disciplined her for this as I'm not sure what is triggering this. Please help.

Asked by Member 1146229 on Dec 22nd 2012 Tagged cower, behavior, peeing in Behavior & Training

Answers

Tony Hernandez

Don't discipline her. Lead by example. She may feel insecure that there is a new person, even though she likes this person. Don't "expect" her to behave fearfully. See the correct behavior in your mind, and "believe" that she will no longer cower or pee. She can be confident. Focus on success. No pity. No high-pitched "hellos" when you see her. Perhaps you and your daughter can take her to a new park or on a new walk route to jog her interest and break from routine. Simple tricks can empower her. Don't comfort her when she is fearful or anxious. I believe rubbing the chest and giving intermittent pats affects dogs' postures and behavior very positively, so gently rub her chest in a gentle circular motion. But only when she is relaxed and curious. Neither of you should "spoil"her or speak in "baby talk". I think Basic training teaches power and pride to rescue dogs. Thanks for FOSTERING a dog. Fosters are the linchpin of rescue. It just can't happen without people like you. Good luck

Tony Hernandez answered on 1/21/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer