How do i stop my dog from pulling on my leash with out a choke colar

My one year old rottie is as strong as a horse breaks ever leash

Asked by Member 1135332 on Oct 11th 2012 Tagged rottie, puppy, help, training in Leash Walking

Answers

Rastas

Okay- the easiest and quickest way to stop pulling is to associate the undesirable action- pulling- with the desirable action-walking next to you or with slack (two different training techniques) by creating your own action/sound. I use a quick/short tug and a noise like "pppssstt" The tug tells the dog stop what you are doing and eventually the noise will be all you need to remind the dog to stop pulling. It's a long, ongoing journey and you must keep on it EVERY time your dog pulls or they will ALWAYS pull. EVERYONE that walks the dog must use the same technique as you are working with the dog or it will confuse them too...so the best results will come from being consistent. Choke collars are the lazy and cruel way to train a dog...only a slight tug and noise does the trick for my pit bull and she's tough as nails too!

Rastas answered on 10/11/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

One answer is to tucker that dog out before a walk. Throw a ball, wrestle, etc. to preemptively burn off a little energy. If that doesn't work, I've found a lot of success in using a Gentle Leader or other halter-style collar. If they start to pull on the lead, it turns them around the opposite direction and they don't enjoy that much. My husky was--understandably--bred to pull, but I-understandably-don't like getting dragged around. Dropped $25 at the pet store, put it on her, watched her tantrum a little as she figured out she wasn't going to be able to run the show any longer, and then started on my way. It was like walking a completely different dog--no pulling, tugging, sliding, choking noises, etc. Problem solved!

Tire him out before a walk by providing him with vigorous exercise. Dogs pull because they are faster than us and there is not much we can do about that. But if you get him tired first then he will be less likely to pull.
Dogs also pull because they anticipate your next move. If you switch directions often, then he will be less likely to pull because he will be paying more attention to you and less attention to his surroundings.
Chokers are ridiculously dangerous (www.adogsview.net but there are some no pull harnesses that you can use that are completely safe for your dog and will make walks safe for you as well.