Precious

how do I stop my dog from demanding attention

Asked by Precious on Jan 30th 2009 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Stop giving it to her. She has got you wrapped around her little paw. If you start ignoring her when she wants your attention, she will start to understand that you're the boss and you call the shots. When she demands your attention, do not look at her. Just turn your back and ignore. It'll feel like you're being mean, but you're not. You are just teaching her that you're the boss and you hand out the affection. When you're walking around the house, stop looking at her (that one's tough). But, every time you look at her or talk to her, you're validating her demands. I had to do this with my dog and boy it was hard, but I now have a calm dog who doesn't come to me every 5 min. for affection. I still have to keep up with not looking at him while he's lying down. I love how cute he is, but I can't give him that power otherwise I'll never be able to sit down w/o him in my lap. So, try those things and I bet within a few days, she isn't bugging you all the time.

Lola Penelope

hehe... I agree with above. boy is it hard tho. I have an especially hard time when I come home. Doesn't matter if it was 10 min. or 8 hrs, she is so happy to see me I just give in! So, with that said... it will be hard but it'll be the best for both of you... and us!

Lola Penelope answered on 1/31/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer