How do I stop my dog from chewing up flip flops?

I have a 10 month old neutered pomapoo (pomeranian poodle mix) and he is constantly chewing on flip flops any chance he gets. When I catch him in the act I swat him on the nose with it and tell him no bad boy then put him in his kennel for a while, but he continues to do it. He has an endless amount of rawhides and chew toys, we play with him and whenever we leave he goes in his kennel. He'll just disappear every so often when we're home and go in a closet and hide under the bed with a flip flop. What can I do? Its been over 15 pairs and it's getting to the point where my family wants to find him a new home.

Asked by Member 1097493 on Mar 5th 2012 in Chewing

Answers

Keep the flip flops where he can't get to them!

Kazba

I agree, the best thing is to keep them picked up. If he can not find them, then he will move on to something else. You can also try spraying on something like the bitter apple to make them have a bad taste.

Kazba answered on 3/6/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Noelle

As other have said, keep them out of reach or spray bitter apple spray on them. You can buy it at any pet store and its relatively cheap.
Make sure you teach him to chew on his toys and not the flip flops. Give him crazy amounts of praise and attnetion when he is chewing on the toy and correct him when he chews on a flip flop, but as I said above, keeping them out of reach or spraying bitter apple spray on them is probably best.

By the way, regular raw hides aren't too safe for a dog if they end up swallowing them, the rawhide can expand in their digestive system and cause blockage. Raw bones and pressed raw hides are the way to go.

Noelle answered on 3/9/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer