Tango

How do I stop my dog from chewing and eating material? He eats bed sheets and the stuffing from comforters while I sleep

He doesn't just chew things, he eats them. The stuffing from comforters, eats the sheets, eats the stuffing from the sofa, eats towels, etc. He reacts like a dog with a raw meaty bone when I tryto take the stuffing away from him, but I can take his food and other edible items with no problem. He also likes to eat paper, bobby pins and tin foil! Help, this is going to seriously hurt him.

Asked by Tango on Mar 2nd 2011 in Chewing

Answers

Jasmine

Sounds like that eating disorder I think it's pica. See your vet and keep him crated or secluded away from things that could harm him if not attended.

Jasmine answered on 3/3/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Wendy

There is some stuff you can get from Petsmart that you can spray on things you don't want him to chew. I would spray it on a few things and lay it down where he can get to it and when he gets it he will learn that it no longer taste good.

Wendy answered on 3/3/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would put him in a crate overnight or when you're not home with NOTHING but water and a Kong with some kind of goody inside (peanut butter or a Kong treat). Dog-proof your house by going room-to-room and removing anything he might find tasty (the paper, bobby pins, tin foil, etc.). Provide him with "good" chewing things, like the Kong, a Nylabone, or another safe toy. Then redirect him anytime you find him chewing something "bad" by giving him the "good" chew toys. Make sure to praise him A LOT, especially when he chooses those "good" options on his own.

A lot of the destructive stuff is anxiety or boredom, so make sure he's getting a lot of exercise (a daily walk or run) and attention (a daily wrestle, game of fetch, etc.). It sounds stupid, but Libby loves it when I talk to her, as well.

Destructive behavior can be so frustrating, but it can also be overcome.

Best of luck!